The history of the factory dates back to 1799, during the Austro-Hungarian Empire, when the steel manufacturing workshops were founded in Cugir, one of the first metallurgical factories in Transylvania.
The expansion of the facility began in 1926, through the construction of new production halls. The war led to the militarization of the plant which, at that time, was managed by specialists in modern weapons manufacturing. Parts and assemblies for artillery techniques were produced during the cooperation with the London company “Vickers Armstrong Ltd.”. The takeover by the Czechoslovak firm “Zbrojowka-Brno” led to a redesign of the production for infantry weapons and ammunition, based on documentation license. During the Second World War, the German concern “Herman Goring” took over the company’s shares.
Cugir Factory produced the first Romanian-designed weapon, 9mm caliber submachine gun, Parabellum, “Oriţa” type.
In 2004, from SC Cugir Mechanical Plant SA it was divided SC Cugir Arms Factory SA, which is also a subsidiary of the National Company ROMARM.
Bucharest Mechanical Factory was founded in 1978, as a subsidiary of “23 August” Bucharest Factory, under the name of “Special Heavy Machine Factory”.
In December 1990, it was called “Bucharest Mechanical Factory” and entered under the taken over by the Ministry of National Defence, as a component unit of the Army Industrial Group. Ten years later, the factory enters under the authority of the Ministry of Industry and Resources and is renamed SC ARSENAL SA – Bucharest Branch.
In 2001, as the defense industry was reorganized, the unity returns to the name “Bucharest Mechanical Factory” and becomes a subsidiary of the National Company ROMARM.